12 hours in Tulsa, glory’s second shot, a beach read for the ages, and much more. It’s your weekly Bump&Run.
Bump&Run is the weekly recap of our members-only Discord server. Haven’t joined our server yet? Do so here: glfrsj.nl/BTSconnect
12 Hours in Tulsa
Combine the TGJ van, a dozen Broken Tee Society Members, and an oil capital in the midst of an urban revival. Shake well, and garnish with night golf and Double-A baseball. Serve chilled.
pga championship pick 'em
It’s major week, which means it’s time for another installment of BTS Major Madness! Head to the 🏆│pga-championship channel to join our pool – it’s free to enter, with third, second, and first place finishers receiving $50, $100, and $150 in TGJ store credit.
Perhaps more importantly, winners will enjoy endless bragging rights among their peers.
And speaking of majors, we’re sure you’re already tired of the myriad PGA Championship preview podcasts dropping into your feed. Switch things up and enjoy two new thought-provoking conversations with two accomplished authors from last week.
First, catch up on Shane Ryan’s visit to the Main Stage, where we discussed his new Ryder Cup book The Cup They Couldn’t Lose. Topics included the downstream effects of Covid on both the event and the book, a Herb Kohler-Pete Dye tree feud, and how the “hot/crazy” scale relates to team golf.
Then, go backstage with TGJ contributor Dan Riley, the former features editor at GQ whose two stories “The Man Riding Clouds” and “Glories of the Island” have anchored the past two issues of the journal. Dan offers a look behind the scenes at his reporting from upstate New York to Martha’s Vineyard, plus a commentary on today’s print media world.
broken tee society at belmont
If you live within 100 miles of Richmond, Virginia, and your schedule looks free on June 10, we’ve got an idea of how to spend your day.
Join the Broken Tee Society for a pop-up at Belmont GC, one of the crown jewels of American municipal golf. $40 gets you golf with a cart and a ticket to happy hour, and if that’s not your idea of a good time, we can’t think of what might be.
membership has its perks
We’re less than a week away from back-to-back TGJ takeovers at the King-Collins masterpiece that is Inness in Accord, NY. In addition to all-day golf, multiple formats, and top-notch hospitality, our event attendees got a happy surprise last week with the unveiling of some serious swag from TGJ sponsor FootJoy.
All Members will be going home with an official piece of FootJoy x US Open apparel. Examples are below, with the proof of life photos coming into our Inness event channels on Discord.
The Outing @ Inness: Day 1
TCC’s legendary squirrel logo, available in grey crew or black hoodie
The Outing @ Inness: Day 2
The polo pattern celebrates Brookline’s legendary duo of Francis Ouimet and Eddie Lowery. Available in white or blue
three putts for the kids
Golf season has just begun in many parts of the country, and there’s still ample time to join the Broken Tee Society 3 Jack Fund!
Here’s how to join the fun(d):
- Head to the 3 Jack Fund channel on the Discord server
- Access our Members-only sign-up page to join
- Pay your $10 entry fee, then use our posted spreadsheet to track each three-putt throughout your season
- Donate $1 for every three-putt, and share your successful avoidance (or woeful capitulation) with your fellow putters on Discord
- Half of the season-long pot will go to one lucky Member, and the other half will go to a charity of the BTS community’s choice
Join the 3 Jack Fund here
A selection of odds and ends from around our community:
- Bikepacking through Scotland: Member @SethB is planning an epic journey. Head to the #bts-scotland channel to follow along or send some advice!
- Book Club in paradise: Speaking of Scotland, @BirdiesNoBogeys is enjoying our Book Club pick, Dr. MacKenzie’s Spirit of St. Andrews, along the sunny shores of St. John
- Footy fanatics: Manchester City’s purchase of Erling Haaland sparked a flurry of activity in our Footy thread – dive in to get your soccer fix as we close in on another thrilling conclusion to the EPL season.
- Stuck on you: The power of sticker marketing, as shown by new member @alexb
- Ozark’s goodbye: A discussion on the increasing silliness of a beloved TV show
on the tee
Registration is Live: The Showcase @ Olympic Hills
Tuesday, Noon PM ET
Head to our website to register for The Showcase @ Olympic Hills, and test your skills at one of the toughest tracks in Minnesota.
This week’s featured photo courtesy of @BirdiesNoBogeys