Welcome to Bump&Run, a recap of what you may have missed during the past week on the Broken Tee Society Discord server.
Not yet a member of the server? Head here to join: glfrsj.nl/BTSconnect
rain or shine
The TGJ event season kicked off in a big way over the weekend, as dozens of BTS members dodged the Florida raindrops across the rolling hills of Capital City Country Club. Host/historian/author emeritus Jay Revell showed the crew a wonderful time, and brought his trusty sidekick Leon along for a priceless photo op from within the confines of Foster’s TGJ van.
Head to the Capital City CC Discord channel for some photos and recaps from the event, and make sure to catch the van when it rolls through your area!
toes in the water...
And speaking of Floridian golf events, four lucky BTS members are headed down to Miami this week, as the winners of our lottery for the PUMA X PTC golf event, put on in concert with the ULTRA music festival.
Events like this tend to pop up with regularity in the server, so if you like free golf and great company, it behooves you to keep an eye on that announcements channel.
stories for days
It was a great week for BTS members with long commutes, or the ability to consume audio content at 2X speed.
Tuesday saw two TGJ scholars take the lectern, as Senior Editor Tom Coyne delivered a Storytelling 101 seminar with Associate Editor Casey Bannon providing the talking points.
The following day, we welcomed BTS member and ACC Network broadcaster Wes Durham to the Main Stage for a thorough breakdown of this year’s March Madness field. In addition to the prognostication, Wes dove into the intricacies of broadcasting and divulged which college coaches are secret golf nuts.
Listen to both in the BTS Archive here, and subscribe to the BTS podcast to get these interviews direct to your phone.
BTS DOES ANGC
The first weekend in April approaches, and our Masters channel is now live on the server, providing a one-stop shop for anything and everything related to this tradition unlike any other. In just the first week, we’ve seen:
- Fletch detail his thrice-delayed Augusta trip – the Tuesday tickets he won in the 2019 lottery will finally be punched in a few short weeks.
- Seamster-in-Residence J Koons offer a behind-the-scenes look at a forthcoming green jacket-themed headcover.
- Marty, Mica, and Tyler offer best viewing practices for first-time Masters patrons.
With more than two weeks to go until the big event, we can’t wait to see what’s on the horizon here.
let the madness begin
In his pre-tournament breakdown, Wes told us that this was one of the most wide-open fields in years, with upset potential across the board. He was not lying.
After the first weekend of March Madness, 15-seed St. Peters continues their Cinderella run through the tournament, and the 75 brackets in our BTS Madness pool run the gamut from near perfect to fully immolated.
A number of unlucky members have already lost their champions, as Baylor, Wisconsin, Tennessee, and Kentucky (not to mention long-shots like USC and Alabama) fell early in the proceedings. On a more positive note, member @kyle’s bracket sits at the very top of the heap, and ranks in the 99.7th percentile of brackets on ESPN.com.
Can Kyle keep the dream alive? Tune in next weekend to find out, and follow along in our dedicated March Madness thread.
odds and ends
A series of miscellaneous highlights from the past week of the server. But first, a light plea from your humble Discord docent. With a new arrival in the Vogel household, time has become a scarce and valuable commodity.
Consider this my version of if you see something, say something. Find a post or topic in your server travels that you think deserves mention in the Bump&Run? DM it to me (@RobbieVogel) and we will get it included! OK, on to the good stuff.
- If at first you don’t succeed, DIY again: The DIY channel has become one of our most active and interesting, thanks to the ingenuity of folks like @JKoons, @BryanK09, and others. Keep up the terrific work – and if anyone’s in the mood for a custom headcover, you know where to go.
- From the mouths of babes: Members of our Book Club are hard at work digesting Cormac McCarthy’s violent and visceral Blood Meridian. BTS attempts to reach the famously reclusive author fell on deaf ears – but in a strange twist, a couple of local high school kids tracked McCarthy down for a class project. His insights will be valuable during our Blood Meridian Book Club talk on 4/24.
- BTS’s Hottest Club is Ace: Two more BTS members joined the venerable ace club this week! First, @proff_22 dunked a comfy 8 iron from 165. Then, TGJ’s Don of Distribution Brando joined the club at Emerald Isle GC in Oceanside. Congrats to both!
- Cypress Secrets: A few photos and some cryptic messaging from Casey on an upcoming CPC piece for the magazine. Damn those quarterly production schedules!
on the tee
Member Spotlight: Michael Davies, CEO of Embassy Row Studios
CEO of Embassy Row Studios. Executive Producer of Jeopardy! and Who Wants to be a Millionaire?. Host of Men in Blazers. BTS member. Join us for a fascinating chat about Davo’s childhood in England, his career in America, and how golf fits into all of it.
Behind No. 19: Chasing Scratch
From the pages of TGJ to the airwaves of the BTS – Mike Shade and Eli Strait from Chasing Scratch join us on the Main Stage. We’ll talk about their podcast, the journey it’s taken them on, and the experience of being profiled in No. 19.
Behind No. 19: Crawford Anderson-Dillon on Dornoch
The inimitable Crawford Anderson-Dillon stops by the Main Stage to debrief on “Hard Forged” – his deeply reported piece on Royal Dornoch and the two lifelong locals whose friendship forms the basis of the tale.