Welcome to Bump&Run, a recap of what you may have missed during the past week on the Broken Tee Society Discord server. Not yet a member of the server? Head here to join: glfrsj.nl/BTSconnect
Many thanks to @bryancknapp, @BirdiesNoBogeys, @MattChom, @TheDanMullin and @MicaStark for their editorial assistance. Potential contributors can DM @RobbieVogel to get involved!
Wright Thompson live
“I think Rory McIlroy knows something about living in public that not many other people know… and I want to find out what that is.”
The above is one of countless observations Wright dropped during his hourlong appearance on the Main Stage – a talk that wandered from Pappyland to his writing process to his time spent trying to best Jean Van de Velde’s triple bogey seven at Carnoustie’s 18th, among many other avenues.
Listen to our interview below, and paste the RSS feed into your podcast player of choice to get all of our recordings direct to your phone.
RSS feed: https://feeds.libsyn.com/384176/rss
vice captain voting
By the narrow margin of 105-0, the BTS has approved the procedures for Regional Vice Captains within our community. Please review those procedures here, and take note: the nomination process for Vice Captains begins on Monday January 31st.
Looking to get involved in shaping this community going forward? Regional Vice Captains will oversee meetups, facilitate community outreach and act as a point person for their area’s BTS chapter.
tee it up with tgj
How are you spending your President’s Day weekend? A 2-Person Better Ball at the brilliant Saticoy Club sounds like the ideal holiday.
Any interest in 18 holes and a warm Florida welcome under the sunny skies of Tallahassee? Our first-ever foray into Florida has found the ideal venue in Capital City CC.
Looking to discover discovering the next Sweetens Cove? You certainly can’t miss the buried treasure hiding in Western Oklahoma at Boiling Springs.
Only a few spots remain, so join the crew (and the van) for a day you won’t forget.
The Showcase @ Saticoy – Feb 21
The Outing @ Capital City – March 19
The Outing @ Boiling Springs – April 30
It turns out that your TGJ membership gets you a lot more than just a beautiful book.
Last week, we gave away a handful of tickets to The War on Drugs at Madison Square Garden, and we’ll have similar offers available at several more upcoming shows.
Miss that one? Never fear. We have two killer VIP experiences at the Waste Management Phoenix Open, courtesy of our pals at Oakley:
(16) Spots in Oakley’s Desert Duel Pro Am on Thursday; or
(8) Saturday or Sunday VIP passes for Oakley’s private suite on No. 16
Enter for free here
Outside of the myriad offerings from TGJ, there are some community-initiated events happening in 2022 that might grab your attention.
Scotland in July: Erik is looking for three folks to round out the Scotland trip of a lifetime. Find his thread within the 🛫│travel channel.
BTS Bourbon Bash: Bourbon enthusiasts, rejoice! Our BTS Bourbon Bash has secured a single barrel pick at the renowned Wild Turkey Distillery, home to two Kentucky Bourbon Hall of Fame Master Distillers and the only active father and son master distiller duo. We cannot wait to enter these storied halls and sample some of the world’s finest bourbon for our very own Broken Tee Society Single Barrel pick. We hope you can join us on this once in a lifetime trip. Cheers!
Head to the Bourbon Bash thread within the🍷│19th-hole channel to join us in October!
Michigan 2-Person Event: Our friends in Pure Michigan have opened their event for registration. This looks like a great low-key way to kick off the season in a state renowned for exceptional golf.
- A Round for the Ages: Father-and-son duo Mark and Marty Mammel spent January 26th making enough memories for several lifetimes – thanks to both of them for sharing these breathtaking photos from their day at Cypress Point Club. Those lucky enough to join us at White Bear Yacht Club can catch the Mammels for a recap of the day.
- Super Bowl Squares: No explanation necessary. Head here, or DM Robbie, to enter!
- Conner is Crushing It: Four months removed from his bone marrow transplant, Conner is back out working on his short game magic. This young man is an inspiration, and we can’t wait to see him at The Goat in 2022.
- A Man in a Van: The open road is calling, and our man Foster must answer. Snag a heaping handful of Van tees, available exclusively at this year’s TGJ events.
- Creativity on Display: Another week of DIY brilliance brought us these headcovers from Cody Davenport and the simulator being built by @RBauer.
on the tee
Thursday, February 3rd, 4:00 PM
Pebble Beach Watchalong with Kyle Porter
Let’s watch some golf! Flip on the Thursday coverage and hop in the General Hangout channel for a watchalong with fellow BTS members, including CBS Sports golf writer Kyle Porter.
Thursday, February 10, 3:00 PM
Golf, Writing, and Golf Writing with Shane Ryan
An afternoon chat with the prolific and always candid Shane Ryan, author of the forthcoming Ryder Cup book “The Cup they Couldn’t Lose”. We’ll talk Slaying the Tiger, Wikipedia snafus, and why writing a whole book in 1 month is maybe not the greatest idea.