Welcome to Bump&Run, our weekly recap of the happenings in our Broken Tee Society Discord server. TGJ members can join for free here: glfrsj.nl/BTSconnect
With so many new members joining the fold, we’re using this week’s B&R to bring everyone up to speed. As we flip the calendar to 2022, we hope you had a wonderful, happy, and safe holiday season. This year promises to be a big one for us here at The Golfer’s Journal, and we want you along for the ride. Read on, and prepare for a terrific year of golf.
welcome to the newest BTS MEMBERS
A hearty hello to everyone who joined the ranks of the Broken Tee Society over the past few weeks. Whether you’re a longtime subscriber or you’re new to the TGJ world, all are welcome and very much appreciated. As a reader-supported publication, we spend our days (and nights, and weekends) working to create projects worthy of your investment.
The Discord environment can feel a bit overwhelming at first, so we recommend a few best practices to enhance your experience
- Head to 📌│start-here to familiarize yourself with the server.
- Find and utilize your regional channels to meet likeminded subscribers near you.
- Subscribe to the Broken Tee Society calendar (and keep reading) so you don’t miss any hangouts, live interviews, or other fun goings-on.
- Peruse the Broken Tee Archives to dive into the wide array of interviews and hangouts we’ve already conducted.
- Stay active, but don’t worry about FOMO – we will be sure to offer ample warning before each event in the server.
bts season 1: foundations
We’re biased, but we believe the Broken Tee Society to be the best membership in golf. And as fun as it is to hypothesize about how one famed architect would remodel another’s course, or chop it up about the English Premier League, we’re also aiming to achieve some loftier goals within the BTS.
In that spirit, we’re excited to announce the theme for Season 1 in the BTS: Foundations. From coffee to course design to caring for the next generation of golfers, we’ll spend the next few months working with you all to build a strong foundation across the board.
What's goin' on
We can’t possibly recap everything that’s happened in the server within the past few months, so let’s focus on a few areas that might be of interest for new members.
- Book Club – We read a book every month, gather for a lively discussion, and then enjoy a separate live conversation with the author. Our upcoming January 9th discussion will focus on Wright Thompson’s Pappyland, and we’ll talk with Wright on 1/26.
- One and Done – A season-long PGA Tour pool with weekly prizes, whose overall winner will receive undying glory, a chunk of change, and a TGJ prize package.
- BTS Bourbon Bash – A golf- and bourbon-themed excursion through Kentucky’s fertile crescent. Head to the thread for details, and DM Joe (@jsavoie88) to join the fray!
- 2022 TGJ Events – From Talahassee to Trinity Forest, White Bear to Wing Point, and everywhere in between. Check out our 2022 events in detail, and we hope to see you out there!
Make your voice heard
At the end of the day, this community is what you make it. Let’s collaborate on a variety of big ideas to leave this game, and the world, a little better than we found it. Head to our
📥│suggestion-box channel to help build the world we want to live in.
on the tee
There’s always something fun going on in the Broken Tee Society – check out the list below, stay current by checking the Events section (at the very top of the server channel list), and subscribe to our Google calendar!
Wednesday, 1/5, 1 PM ET – Behind the Scenes of No. 18
Your backstage pass to the making of the newest issue of TGJ. Join Travis Hill and Tom Coyne as they debrief about story construction, cover selection, and everything in between.
Thursday, 1/6, Noon ET – Lottery Registration, Prairie Dunes
Head to golfersjournal.com/prairie-dunes to put your name in for our April 25 event at this Kansas classic.
Sunday, 1/9, 8 PM ET – Book Club: Pappyland
Join us on Zoom for our second Book Club meeting, where we’ll be discussing Wright Thompson’s story about family, fine bourbon, and the things that last.
Friday, 1/14 – Golf Course Architecture 101 with Rob Collins
One of golf’s most dynamic architects stops by the Broken Tee Society to offer a crash course in his craft.
Monday, 1/24, 2 PM ET – Coffee 101 with Ross Evans
Join BTS member and Carrier Roasting Company founder Ross Evans for a foundational discussion on the art, science, and magic of great coffee.
Wednesday, 1/26, 2 PM ET – Pappyland and Other Things with Wright Thompson
Author, orator, and overall sportswriting legend Wright Thompson joins us on the Main Stage for what is sure to be a highlight-reel discussion.
Thursday, 2/3, 4 PM ET – Pebble Beach Watchalong with Kyle Porter
Let’s watch some golf! Flip on the Thursday coverage and hop in the general hangout channel for a watchalong with fellow BTS members, including CBS Sports golf writer Kyle Porter.